Since ancient times, cats have been charming, amusing, and yes, at times annoying people. We see cats prominently displayed in hieroglyphs, in funerary artwork, on temple walls, and on obelisks. Apparently, the Prophet Muhammad so loved cats that he once sliced a sleeve off of his shirt to leave the piece of fabric behind so as to not disturb a cat that had fallen asleep atop it. And cats are often featured in medieval artwork, though their renderings are often comically terrible.
RELATED: Ed Sheeran’s Most Inspiring Quotes and Lyrics to Live a Happier Life
Long story short, cats have long been a part of human culture, and they are more prominently part of everyday life for many today than ever before. Even when not actively petting or feeding or cleaning up after our cats, many of us enjoy reading funny cat quotes. Why are cat quotes so compelling? Because they make us feel good, and feeling good is healthy for the soul.
Why Do Cat Quotes (And Memes) Make Us Happy?
A funny cat quote – ideally paired with a great cat picture in the form of a cat meme – can have an immediate effect on your mental and emotional state, triggering a release of serotonin, dopamine, and/or oxytocin, these being the so-called “happiness hormone,” “feel-good hormone,” and “cuddle hormone,” respectively. And not only can a cat quote amuse and move us in the moment, but it can also call up a memory we may treasure from the past or call to mind a characteristic of one of our own beloved pets. The release of these hormones and the touchstone to memory a cat quote can be can also reduce sensations of stress and anxiety, only making the moment that much better.
RELATED: Euphoria Quotes: The Show’s Most Biting and Powerful Quotes – And What They Say about You
Further, reading a cat quote from another person – especially one that resonates with us – can make us feel more connected to other people, and that sense of connection is critical for all human beings. So, ironically, reading quotes about these unique members of the animal world can make a person feel more connected to other human beings, especially if said humans are fellow cat lovers.
Now let’s take a look at some of the best cat quotes the internet has to offer, a number of which may just see you enjoying not only a moment of levity, but an increase of happy, feel-good, or cuddly hormones that genuinely enhance your mood and your sense of wellbeing.
21 Cat Quotes That Will Make You Feel Better About Everything
1. “A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” — Writer Ernest Hemingway
2. “As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.” — Journalist Ellen Perry Berkeley
3. “A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats.” — Aphorist Mason Cooley
4. “I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” — Writer Neil Gaiman
5. “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” — Novelist Terry Pratchett
6. “There are no ordinary cats.” — French novelist Colette
7. “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” — Professor Mary Bly
8. “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” — Writer Mark Twain
9. “There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat.” — Literary editor Tay Hohoff
10. “I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” – Author Jules Verne
11. “Never try to out-stubborn a cat.” — Science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein
RELATED: 50 Inspirational Quotes to Uplift and Motivate
12. “Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.” — Poet Pam Brown
13. “Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them.” – Cartoonist Jim Davis
14. “Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.” – Writer and radio host Garrison Keillor
15. “The problem with cats is that they get the same exact look whether they see a moth or an axe murderer.” — Comedian Paula Poundstone
16. “When Rome burned, the emperor’s cats still expected to be fed on time.” – Author Seanan Maguire
17. “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” – Theologian Albert Scheitzer
18. “What greater gift than the love of a cat.” – Author Charles Dickens
19. “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” – Psychologist Sigmund Freud
20. “Like all pure creatures, cats are practical.” – Writer William S. Burroughs
21. “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.” – Polymath Leonardo da Vinci
Are Dog Quotes Also Popular?
And yes, for the record, let us be clear: reading quotes about dogs can also provide all the same benefits cat quotes can for those who love dogs and lots of people love dog quotes. As to whether cat quotes are better than dog quotes, or if cats are better than dogs, we’re staying well away from that area.
As for the popularity of dogs vs. cats, did you know that worldwide cats are the more popular pets? Cats are more popular in 91 countries surveyed, while dogs were more popular in 76 countries – data was not available for every nation on the planet. However, in America, dogs are more popular than cats, according to the same findings.
The reason more Americans like dogs than cats is because canines are more compliant and obedient than felines, and Americans by in large like to have their pets follow the rules and fall in line. However, that same independent streak that is a turnoff to many in the U.S. may be the exact quality so many cat owners cherish. Looking back through some of the quotes collected there, that certainly seems to be possible.
13 Self Worth Quotes to Help Build Your Confidence & Self Esteem
Credit: Source link